PE 12: Active Living
Ministry code: ACLV 12
View the complete Learning Standards for this course here: Active Living 12
This course focuses on the development of a personalized approach to healthy, active living. This course requires students to participate in a variety of sport and recreational activities that have the potential to engage students’ interests not only throughout the course, but throughout their lives. Students will experience activities that could include team games, individual sports and minor games that all emphasize recreational participation in addition to regular fitness activities.
Big Idea: Physical activity is an important part of overall health and well being.
- Lesson 1: Teaching Games for Understanding
- Lesson 2: What is Physical Education?
- Lesson 3: Fundamental Movement Skills
- Lesson 4: Canada Food Guide
Movement Guidelines Quiz
Nutrition Awareness Assignment
Module 1 Reflection Assignment
Big Idea: Safety and injury prevention practices allow lifelong participation in physical activities.
- Lesson 1: Understanding Games
- Lesson 2: Monitoring Physical Exertion
- Lesson 3: Components of an Exercise Session
- Lesson 4: Safety and Injury Prevention
Injury Prevention Assignment
Module 2 Reflection Assignment
Big Idea: Finding enjoyable recreational activities can motivate people to participate more regularly in physical activity.
- Lesson 1: Trends in Physical Health and Fitness
- Lesson 2: Fitness Fads and Myths
- Lesson 3: Health Apps
- Lesson 4: Barriers to Physical Activity
Health Apps Assignment
Overcoming Barriers Assignment
Module 3 Reflection Assignment
- First Assignment 10%
- Activity Reports (3 total) 45%
- Discussions (3 total) 15%
- Quiz (1 total) 5%
- Assignments (5 total) 15%
- Reflection Questions (3 total) 10%
Required Resources: a computer with internet access and headphones/speakers. Access to fitness activities.
BC Performance Standards