Dear Parent / Guardian,
This year our school will be offering students the use of a school-managed Google Apps for Education (GAFE) Account. GAFE is a free, “walled garden” style learning platform where students can have discussions, share their learning and collaborate on projects. They will also gain access to a document and media creation platform similar to Microsoft Office that includes online cloud storage via through Google Drive. This private online learning environment is teacher managed and students will only be able to interact with others in the class, other teachers, and specific outside agencies based on educational need (Distance Education providers, etc).
We will be using GAFE to: Provide students a set of free tools to do all their work for all classes, store and manage assignments across all platforms (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, etc), and collaborate and receive feedback among their teachers and peers in real time.
Benefits of using Google Apps for Education:
- Provides a safe and easy way to support students both in and outside of the classroom.
- Helps students develop important online skills.
- Facilitates student communication with the teacher to get help or ask questions.
- Provides an easy way for students to keep track of important due dates and tasks.
- Allows students to view missed work when absent from class.
- Allows the teacher to monitor online conversations and intervene when necessary to keep students on task and ensure a safe environment.
- Allows students to access files, links and resources provided by the teacher anywhere there is an internet connection
- Helps foster vibrant learning communities
- Encourages the distinction between “school email” and existing personal student accounts
- Managed and monitored by the school.
- Allow students a way to work at home on any electronic platform/device regardless of software or hardware choices in the home (seamless on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android)
Please read this parent/guardian documentation for further information.