Career Life Connections 12 & Capstone
Ministry code: CLC
It is recommended that students complete Career Life Education 10 prior to starting this course.
View the complete Learning Standards for this course here: Career Life Connections 12
Career Life Connections is a course that is designed to identify and develop each student’s personal interests, passions and goals. Students reflect on the learning experiences and competency development in school and community, and explore roles and possibilities in personal, education and work-life contexts. Career Life Connections facilitates the community networking and experiential learning to benefit decision making both within and outside of school while concurrently designing and producing a graduation Capstone project.
Each module in Career Life Connections 12 will include lessons and assignments in addition to a Capstone project component.
Unit 1 Big Idea: Career life development includes ongoing cycles of exploring, planning, reflecting, adapting and deciding.
- Lesson 1: Development of Our Core Competencies
- Lesson 2: Mastering an Application Package
- Lesson 3: An Introduction to Scholarships
- Lesson 4: How Can Our Worldview Impact Decision Making?
- Lesson 5: Personal and Professional Networks for Post-Graduation
- Capstone Lesson: Choosing a Topic, Strand and Mentor
Core Competencies Assignment
Application Package Review (application forms, cover letters, resume, follow-up)
Scholarship Application Assignment
Capstone Project: Introducing Your Mentor
Unit 2 Big Idea: Career life decisions influence and are influenced by internal and external factors, including local and global trends.
- Lesson 1: Is There Such Thing as a 9-5 Anymore?
- Lesson 2: Navigating Change in Your Post Grad Plan
- Lesson 3: Using Entrepreneurial Skills to Solve Community Needs
- Capstone Lesson: Formalizing Your Proposal
Flexible Workplaces Assignment
Changes in Your Grad Plan Assignment
Business Model Canvas Assignment
Capstone Project Proposal
Unit 3 Big Idea: Engaging in networks and reciprocal relationships can guide and broaden career-life awareness and options.
- Lesson 1: Enhancing Your Personal Marketing Through LinkedIn
- Lesson 2: Continuing Your Role as a Mentee While Developing Your Role as a Mentor
- Lesson 3: Developing a Personal Marketing Plan
- Capstone Lesson: Your Capstone Project Action Log
Developing a Personal Marketing Plan
Unit 4 Big Idea: A sense of purpose and career-life balance support well-being.
- Lesson 1: Looking Beyond North American Views of Work-Life Balance
- Lesson 2: The Art of Procrastination
- Lesson 3: How Wellness Plans Can Impact Our Well Being
- Capstone Lesson: Assembling and Presenting Your Project
Work-Life Balance Assignment
Wellness Plans Assignment
Capstone Action Log Progress
Unit 5 Big Idea: Lifelong learning and active citizenship foster career-life opportunities for people and communities.
- Lesson 1: Translating Our Skills to Those People Want
- Lesson 2: Setting Financial Goals and a Budget to Achieve Them
- Lesson 3: Raising Income and Lowering Credit
- Lesson 4: The Importance of Community Connectedness
- Capstone Lesson: Presenting with Confidence
Translating Skills Assignment
Financial Goals Assignment
Community Connectedness Assignment
Capstone Action Log Final Copy
Capstone Project Presentation
- First Assignment (Unit 1 Assignments) 10%
- Module Assignments 40%
- Capstone Components and Presentation 50%
Required Resources: a computer with internet access and headphones/speakers.