English 11: Composition
This course has been designed to meet the requirements of the new English Language Arts 10-12 curriculum as outlined by the Ministry of Education. It is a 4 credit course that provides students with an English 11 credit.
View the complete Learning Standards for this course: English 11: Composition
It is recommended that students take English 10 prior to enrolling in this course.
Welcome to the course! Composition 11 is a robust senior language arts course designed to help you transform into an efficient communicator, effective writer and critical thinker. Composition 11 is divided into 3 distinct modules:
Module 1: Information Navigation
The topics touched on in this module include advertising and branding, media influence, stereotypes and learning to communicate in the digital world.
- Module 1 Section 1: Giving Our Ideas Structure
- Module 1 Section 2: Evaluating Information and Citing Sources
- Module 1 Section 3: Active Reading and Critical Thinking
- Module 3 Section 4: Fighting Fake News By Thinking Critically
- Module 1 Test
Module 2: Storytelling
A look at different ways to write, poetic language, telling stories, personal narratives and First Nations oral traditions.
- Module 2 Section 1: Sharing Stories
- Module 2 Section 2: Spinning Words
- Module 2 Section 3: The Power of Language
- Module 2 Section 4: First People’s Perspectives
- Module 2 Test
Module 3: Independent Novel Study
In Module 3 you will choose your own novel and complete 3 activities: settings postcards, a soundtrack to your novel and a literary essay
|Module 1 Activities||25%|
|Module 2 Activities||25%|
|Module 3 Activities||20%|
Required Resources: a computer with internet access and speakers or headphones.