Food Studies 11


View the complete Learning Outcomes for this course: Foods and Nutrition 11 Integrated Resource Package (Learning Outcomes are on page 23)

Food Studies 11 is a four credit, research and project-based course that focuses on planning and preparing nutritious food for individuals and groups. Students develop various skills from planning menus to presenting attractive meals, and increase their knowledge of the nutritional, social, and economic factors that affect food selection and preparation.

  • First Assignment/Module 1: Research and Reflections
  • Module 1: Project
  • Module 2: Research and Reflections
  • Module 2: Project
  • Module 3: Research and Reflections
  • Module 3: Project

The prescribed learning outcomes for Food Studies 11 are grouped under the five following interrelated curriculum organizers:

Food-Preparation Principles

Students gain an understanding of the scientific and aesthetic principles of food preparation that lead to desired product standards. They apply these principles by adapting recipes for a variety of individual, group and family situations.

Food-preparation Techniques

Students observe and practice a wide variety of food-preparation techniques. They learn to prepare tasty, attractive, and nutritious foods in a cost- and time-effective manner.

Food Products

Students learn to plan meals appropriate for various nutritional needs and social occasions. They prepare and serve meals using a variety of familiar and unfamiliar foods.

Nutritional Issues

Students learn to maximize the health benefits of food while planning and preparing meals. They explore factors that affect an individual’s nutrient requirements at each stage of life. Throughout the course, students apply these principles of nutrition to their own food preparation.

Social and Economic Issues

Students examine the environmental, cultural, and economic factors that influence food choices. They increase their awareness of the impact of an individual’s food choices on others, both locally and globally, and they use this knowledge to make responsible food choices.

Assessment

Completion of Module 1’s Research and Reflections as the First Assignment is worth 10% with two major research assignments and three cooking projects making up the other 90%.  There are no tests.

Required Resources: a computer with internet access. Students are responsible for materials needed to do labs.

BC Performance Standards