Ocean Literacy & Leadership – YPR-12B
The Ocean Literacy and Leadership Camp is closed to registration until COVID restrictions are lifted.
Ocean Literacy & Leadership online course and in-person camp will explore our personal leadership strengths which we can apply to being advocates for our ocean. In order to fully understand the ocean, we will be diving into the 7 Ocean Literacy Principles which help us understand the ocean’s influence on you—and your influence on the Ocean. There will be opportunities to explore the wonders of the ocean and to self reflect on the personal choice’s you make in your life and how it directly effects the health of the ocean. The leadership component will have a solutions-based focus and will help prepare you for the final culminating Action Project to take back to your school and/or community.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify your personal leadership traits and strength;
- Understand the importance of a multi-perspective approach to communicating;
- Understand the Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts about the ocean;
- Have deeper connections to marine species and the concept of interconnectedness;
- Make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and advocating for its health;
- Have tools and a plan to execute an action project.
- During the camp you will be interacting with internationally recognized presenters and youth leaders from all over the province in hopes to ignite a passion to have a voice for the ocean. During the camp you are expected to model positive and supportive participation through a variety of activities, workshops and labs; contribute to small group discussions, collaborate on action plans, and maintain a camp journal.
Module 1- FIRST ASSIGNMENT – Personal Eco-Audit 10%
- This section will give you a glimpse into your own consumption habits through a personal Eco-Audit. By providing a baseline of where you are in your daily life it will help you make those personal adjustments to create change and lead by example. Here is where the conversations begin.
Module 2 – Leadership 10%
- The Leadership sections are designed to build your leadership skills and support you in the development and implementation of your Action Project. In this first leadership section you will identifying your Leadership Strengths and adopt a multi-perspective approach for sustainable development. Like the eco-audit, this is a self-reflection piece to help support you and your quest forward with your final project.
Module 3 – Ocean Literacy Principles 5%
- Ocean Literacy Principles help us understand the ocean’s influence on you—and your influence on the Ocean. By understanding how everything is connected to the ocean we can better understand the vital importance of protecting it.
Module 4 – Ocean Issues 15%
- In the Ocean Issues section we will explore a sampling of issues effecting the health of our ocean. You may find you are pulled to one or part of one of these issues that spark your interest to ‘dive deeper’ in exploring it for your personal action project. You will have a choice of one of 5 projects to explore more deeply this research should help you narrow but not limit the scope for your final project.
- Run Off & Sewage
- Over Fishing
- Oil Spills
- Marine debris & plastics
Module 5 – Action Project Plan- 20%
- In this final section of the course you will pull from your background knowledge built through out the course and time spent at camp to develop a comprehensive and detailed Action Project plan.